Re: udev breakages -

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Thu Oct 04 2012 - 13:29:55 EST

Kay Sievers <kay@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> If that works out, it would a bit like devtmpfs which turned out to be
> very simple, reliable and absolutely the right thing we could do to
> primarily mange /dev content.

ROFL.

There are still quite a few interesting cases that devtmpfs does not
even think about supporting. Cases that were reported when devtmpfs was
being reviewed.

Additionally the devtmpfs maintainership has not dealt with legitimate
concerns any better than this firmware issue has been dealt with. I
still haven't even hear a productive suggestion back on the hole
/dev/ptmx mess.

As it happens devtmpfs wound up being a userspace process that happens
to reside in the kernel and call mknod. How it makes sense two layers
of messaging and device management instead of just one I don't know.
Certainly I would not crow about that being a success of anything except
passing the buck.

There is debacle written all over the user space interface for dealing
with devices right now.

Eric