Re: udev breakages -

From: Nix
Date: Thu Oct 04 2012 - 06:35:18 EST

[Kay removed because I don't like emailing arguable flamebait directly
to the person flamed.]

On 4 Oct 2012, nix@xxxxxxxxxxxxx stated:

> By udev 175 I, and a lot of other people, had simply stopped upgrading
> udev entirely on the grounds that we could no longer tolerate the
> uncertainty over whether our systems would boot every time we upgraded
> it, for no discernible benefit. Yes, all the incompatible changes are
> (or were, as of udev 175) called out in the release notes -- but there
> are so *many* of them, it's easy to miss one. And they all seem so
> completely unnecessary, and their implications for your system
> configuration grow more and more invasive all the time.

In the bright light of day I realize that this post is not as off-topic
for this thread as it appears. This is all of a piece. The udev
maintainer insists that everyone else adapt to udev's demands: before
now, it has been users, sysadmins, and userspace who must adapt, but now
is is pushing its demands in the other direction as well: this thread is
the result.

--
NULL && (void)