Re: [GIT PULL] arm64: Linux kernel port

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Oct 01 2012 - 15:00:15 EST

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Please pull the tag below containing the arm64 Linux port. The code
> lives primarily under arch/arm64/ with a few bits of generic code
> outside this. Thanks.

Ok, pulled.

However, looking at the non-arm64 changes, I note:

- the UID16 config option *has* to be fixed.

This is not really about arm64, the ugliness comes from every crazy
architecture. But we really need to fix this to have something like a
"HAVE_UID16" config option, and have the architectures that support
this select that option, so that the UID16 config option can just have
a "depends on HAVE_UID16".

Please? Anybody?

- same goes for DEBUG_KMEMLEAK and DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE.

- very similar issues for the crazy mess of "#if defined()" in
kernel/sysctl.c. Can we please just add a SYSCTL_EXCEPTION_TRACE
config option, and have the architectures that want this just select
it?

Hmm? Having new architecture have to mess with these kinds of things,
and making the thing continually uglier is just nasty.

I'm sure there are other cases like this elsewhere, but these were the
ones that the arm64 pull showed.

Linus