Re: [GIT PULL] x86/microcode changes for v3.7

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Oct 01 2012 - 11:36:54 EST

* Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Linus,
>
> Please pull the latest x86-microcode-for-linus git tree from:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/tip.git x86-microcode-for-linus
>
> HEAD: bd13178169d5fd17da3221b55ba313270393649a Merge tag 'microcode_fix_3.7' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/bp/bp into x86/microcode
>
> The biggest changes are to AMD microcode patching: add code
> for caching all microcode patches which belong to the current
> family on which we're running, in the kernel. We look up the
> patch needed for each core from the cache at patch-application
> time instead of holding a single patch per-system.

Something I forgot to mention: doing it this way is beneficial
for suspend/resume and is generally the modern way of doing a
self-sufficient in-kernel driver.

The natural next step will be to extend this approach to Intel
CPUs (there's nothing inherently AMD specific about it) - that
is still work in progress and was not ready for this merge
window.

Just in case someone is wondering.

Thanks,

Ingo