gma500_gfx black screen

From: Markus H
Date: Fri Sep 21 2012 - 08:41:26 EST

Hi,

I am getting a black screen as soon as I am loading the gma500_gfx
driver on a Dell Latitude ST tablet (powered by an Atom Z570, GPU
being a GMA600 with PCIID 8086:40102).
This happens with kernel 3.5.3 (Ubunutu 12.10 beta 1 and with
self-built kernels from gentoo-souces) as well as several other
kernels version past 3.0.
I could not find any indication that this problem has been fixed yet in 3.6rc.

I am currently stuck at trying to debug the issue: I can't read any
output (e.g. from a kernel panic) after typing modprobe gma500_gfx.

I could not setup a serial console that would be useful:
I have to use a USB to serial converter as the tablet has no serial port.
I can't get a serial console at all with the Ubuntu stock kernel
probably because the pl2303 driver is not built into the kernel but
rather loaded as module.
When booting a gentoo system with a kernel that has pl2303 built in I
only get boot messages up to xx kb unused memory has been freed and
nothing after that so I miss the kernel panic (if one happens).
When booting that same system with gma500_gfx built-in I don't get any
output on serial at all, probably because the system hangs before it
has initialized the usb console.

So I have two questions:
1. What other debugging options do I have so I can help with fixing
the gma500_gfx driver.
2. Are there any single commits I could try on top of e.g. a stock
3.2.x kernel to see which one caused this regression?

Greetings,
Markus