Re: Where to put test code?

From: Frederic Weisbecker
Date: Thu Sep 20 2012 - 06:51:00 EST

2012/9/20 Daniel Santos <danielfsantos@xxxxxxx>:
> Thanks for the response!
>
> On 09/19/2012 05:18 PM, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
>> 2012/9/19 Daniel Santos <danielfsantos@xxxxxxx>:
>>> I'm putting the finishing touches on the generic red-black tree test
>>> code, but I'm uncertain about where to place it exactly.
>>>
>>> I haven't finished the test module just yet, but the idea is that the
>>> tests can be run in userspace as well as kernelspace to make it easier
>>> to test on multiple compilers. It has some common sources files (used
>>> by in both places) and then specific code for both user- and
>>> kernel-space that I currently have as follows:
>>>
>>> tools/testing/selftests/grbtree/ - common.{c,h}
>>> tools/testing/selftests/grbtree/user - user-space main.c, Makefile, etc.
>>> tools/testing/selftests/grbtree/module - kernel-space grbtest.c,
>>> Makefile, etc.
>>>
>>> Would this be correct or should the common & module code go some place
>>> else and then just have the user-space code under
>>> tools/testing/selftests/grbtest?
>> It depends on the nature of your tests. Are these pure validation
>> tests (some batch
>> tests that perform actions and check the result is correct) or stress
>> tests (something
>> that runs for a while)?
> The program does both performance measurement tests and validation tests
> based upon what you pass at the command line. The primary aim is to
> measure performance differences between the generic code and specific
> (hand-coded) implementations on various compilers. The secondary aim is
> to provide validation that the results are correct in all
> circumstances. I'm not sure in this case what would be considered a
> "stress" test.

Ok. The selftests in tools/testing/selftest run in batch, so if there
is one in the middle that does stress tests for a while, it delays the
other tests. The purpose for these units tests are to quickly detect
for regressions or anything that break expected results.

Your test sounds like a good candidate for that directory I guess.

>> If these are only about validation tests, then both user and module
>> can be in that
>> tools/testing/selftests directory.
>>
>> What is the module doing?
> The module is the exact same thing, except built in kernel-space, where
> the actual code will normally reside. Parameters are passed when you
> load the module and it unloads when the test is complete. Perhaps what
> I omitted is that the user-space program is generated partially by
> compiling sources and headers that are intended for kernel-space only,
> but linked with glibc using some cute hacks. This is done mostly to
> ease the process of testing the code with multiple compilers.

Ok, looks good as well.

Thanks!