Re: Out of memory on 3.5 kernels

From: David Rientjes
Date: Thu Sep 20 2012 - 02:54:48 EST

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012, Nico Schottelius wrote:

> for some time the slab usage is quite high (~3.2 GiB) and whenever I try
> to do a backup with ccollect (which is using rsync), a lot of processes
> (like chromium) are being killed over night.

Yeah, over 81% of your memory is consumed by slab and that doesn't shrink
over the duration of the log you posted. It would be interesting to see
if there was a leak somewhere: try looking at slabtop and determining if
you have a cache using an egregious amount of memory; if there aren't any
clear winners, then we'll still see what is hogging most of your memory
and see how it compares to 3.4.2. You can also check if there is a leak
using kmemleak, but this requires a reboot (see
Documentation/kmemleak.txt).