Re: 3.6rc6 slab corruption.

From: David Rientjes
Date: Wed Sep 19 2012 - 19:20:20 EST

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> That does look simpler, and avoiding the lock is a good idea. Since we
> don't support lseek() (or pread/pwrite) on that thing anyway, there's
> no way to keep the fd open and just re-use it to read the data over
> and over, so populating it at open time sounds like a good solution
> with no real downsides.

Yeah, my patch is functionally the same as what we currently have with the
only exception being that it isn't racy. I'm wondering if that's what we
really want, though, since the data read from the file will remain
persistent as long as it is opened. That obviously happens in my patch
because we allocate and copy the buffer at open(), but also happens
implicitly with the old code precisely because it's a non-seekable file
and *ppos == 0 only once (when not racy).

So if the API for these xen files is to remain persistent after open() as
it currently does, then my patch solves the issue. However, if the API
wants to allow to only open() once and then read the spinlock_stats data
continuously, then we'll need the mutex: allocate the file->private_data
buffer once at open() for the maximum allowable size and then copy to the
buffer from xen's spinlock_stats under the protection of the mutex to
read().

Konrad?