Inconsistency in /proc/cpuinfo about topology ?

From: JA MagallÃn
Date: Fri Sep 14 2012 - 10:10:42 EST

Hi...

Probably there is something I don't understand, but it looks to me like an
inconsistency in the info given by /proc/cpuinfo about processor/core/thread
topology.

For new processors, data seems to account for each 'physycal id', all virtual
processors in the same package repeat the same info:
- Core i5:
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
cpu cores : 4
- Core i3:
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
cpu cores : 2
- Dual Xeon X5365
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
cpu cores : 4
physical id : 1
siblings : 4
cpu cores : 4
- Core Q9450
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
cpu cores : 4

but for older CPUs or lower end it is not the same:
- Dual P4-Xeon:
physical id : 0
siblings : 1
cpu cores : 1
physical id : 0
siblings : 1
cpu cores : 0
physical id : 3
siblings : 1
cpu cores : 1
physical id : 3
siblings : 1
cpu cores : 0

- Single P4 HT:
physical id : 0
siblings : 1
cpu cores : 1
physical id : 0
siblings : 1
cpu cores : 0

What am I missing ?

TIA

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()ono!com> \ Winter is coming...