Re: runtime PM and special power switches

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Tue Sep 11 2012 - 18:51:48 EST

On Wednesday, September 12, 2012, Dave Airlie wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:32 AM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 11 Sep 2012, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,

> >> Alan Stern or Alan Cox? :-)

> >> Hmm. In principle we might modify pci_pm_runtime_suspend() so that it
> >> doesn't call pci_finish_runtime_suspend() if pci_dev->state_saved is
> >> set. That would actually make it work in analogy with pci_pm_suspend_noirq(),
> >> so perhaps it's not even too dangerous.
> >
> > This sounds more like a job for a power domain. Unless the power
> > switch is already in the device hierarchy as a parent to the PCI
> > device.
>
> I'll have to investigate power domains then,
>
> The switch is hidden in many different places, one some laptops its in
> a ACPI _DSM on one GPU, on others its in an ACPI _DSM on the other
> one, in some its in a different ACPI _DSM, then we have it in the ACPI
> ATPX method on others, and finally Apple have it in a piece of hw that
> isn't just on the LPC bus or somewhere like that.
>
> Currently we just hide it all inside vga_switcheroo and I'd just need
> an interface to call that once the layers have stopped poking
> registers in PCI config space, if we could fix PCI runtime suspend so
> the driver was the last to get called then that would also not suck.

Well, as I said, we may try to change the PCI layer so that it doesn't
access the device any more in pci_pm_runtime_suspend() if it sees that
pci_dev->state_saved has been set by the driver's callback. Then,
your drivers would only need to set pci_dev->state_saved in their
.runtime_suspend() callbacks.

Alternatively, which may be less hackish but more work, you can set the
pm_domain pointer in the device structure to a struct dev_pm_domain whose
ops will just call the corresponding bus type's ops except for
.runtime_suspend() that will execute the additional ACPI stuff after calling
the bus type's method.

Thanks,
Rafael