Re: [Drbd-dev] FLUSH/FUA documentation & code discrepancy

From: NeilBrown
Date: Tue Sep 11 2012 - 01:58:28 EST

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 16:31:59 -0700 Kent Overstreet <koverstreet@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> cc'ing Neil
>
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 04:06:54PM -0700, Tejun Heo wrote:
> > Hello, again.
> >
> > cc'ing Kent and Vivek. The original thread is at
> >
> > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.network.drbd.devel/2130

> > > First of all, using FLUSH/FUA for such purpose is an error-prone
> > > abuse. You're trying to exploit an implementation detail which may
> > > change at any time. I think what you want is to be able to specify
> > > REQ_SOFTBARRIER on bio submission, which shouldn't be too hard but I'm
> > > still lost why this is necessary. Can you please explain it a bit
> > > more?
> >
> > The problem with exposing REQ_SOFTBARRIER at bio submission is that it
> > would require block layer not to reorder bios while passing through
> > stacked adrivers until it reaches a rq-based driver. I *suspect* this
> > has been true until now but Kent's pending patch to fix possible
> > deadlock issue breaks that.
>
> Yeah, you might be right about that. I think Neil Brown would know
> better than I if this ordering was ever explicitly broken.

While don't deliberately re-order bios just for the fun of it, there is no
real effort to keep the bios "in order" (assuming that even means something
in a multi-processor environment). The old barrier code did impose ordering
but thankfully we don't have that any more.

RAID5 can certainly re-order write bios as it tries to assemble complete
stripes. RAID1/4/5/6/10 can certainly re-order things if there is an error
that needs to be handled.

The only way to ensure one request completes before another is to not submit
the other until the one has completed.

NeilBrown