Re: [ 84/95] virtio_blk: fix config handler race

From: Ben Hutchings
Date: Mon Sep 10 2012 - 11:26:06 EST

On Mon, 2012-09-10 at 11:56 +0930, Rusty Russell wrote:
> Ben Hutchings <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > 3.2-stable review patch. If anyone has any objections, please let me know.
> >
> > ------------------
> >
> > From: "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@xxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > commit 4678d6f970c2f7c0cbfefc0cc666432d153b321b upstream.
> >
> > Fix a theoretical race related to config work
>
> ???
>
> From Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt:
>
> - No "theoretical race condition" issues, unless an explanation of how the
> race can be exploited is also provided.
>
> Similarly, '[ 85/95] virtio_blk: Drop unused request tracking list'
> is a marginal perf improvement, why is it in there?
>
> Neither of these were cc:stable; did someone request them specifically?

They weren't requested; I think I included them as apparent dependencies
of one or more of the others:

b79d866 virtio-blk: Fix hot-unplug race in remove method
02e2b12 virtio-blk: Call del_gendisk() before disable guest kick
483001c virtio-blk: Reset device after blk_cleanup_queue()

The last of those was cc'd to stable and the first two were applied in
3.5.2, thus I assume requested by someone.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Make three consecutive correct guesses and you will be considered an expert.