Re: [RFCv2 1/2] virtio_console: Add support for DMA memory allocation

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Mon Sep 10 2012 - 04:04:27 EST

sjur.brandeland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> From: Sjur BrÃndeland <sjur.brandeland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Add feature VIRTIO_CONSOLE_F_DMA_MEM. If the architecture has
> DMA support and this feature bit is set, the virtio data buffers
> will be allocated from DMA memory. If the device requests
> the feature VIRTIO_CONSOLE_F_DMA_MEM, but the architecture
> don't support DMA the driver's probe function will fail.
>
> This is needed for using virtio_console from the remoteproc
> framework.

Sorry for the back and forth, I've been pondering MST's points.

If we make a new dma-multiport device (eg. ID 11), how ugly is the code?

It would be a virtio console with DMA buffers and no console, just the
multiport stuff. This would have no impact on the current spec for
virtio console.

Thanks,
Rusty.