Re: [patch 4/8] fs, exportfs: Add export_encode_inode_fh helper

From: Pavel Emelyanov
Date: Thu Aug 16 2012 - 10:14:02 EST

On 08/16/2012 06:03 PM, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-08-16 at 17:54 +0400, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:

>>> What's wrong with saying "we don't support idiotify"?
>>
>> Al, we need some way to restore inotifies after checkpoint.
>> At the very early versions of these patches I simply added
>> dentry to the inotify mark thus once inotify created we always
>> have a dentry to refer on in encode_fh, but I'm not sure if
>> this will be good design.
>
> Actually, I was about to suggest this. This can be done internally
> within fs/notify without actually modifying the syscall interface, can't
> it, since they take a path which is used to obtain the inode? It looks
> like the whole of the inotify interface could be internally recast to
> use dentries instead of inodes. Unless I've missed something obvious?

This will change the observable by userspace behavior. Various apps inotify a
file, then rename/unlink/link it or do tricks with mounts container the file.
And it works one way if the dentry+mount reference is 0 (now) and some other
way if it's not (after the proposed change).

The dentries-related behavior is especially bad on NFS with its silly-renames
decisions based on dentry reference counters. The mount-related one is bad in
general.

I'm saying this, because we were facing such problems at approx. once-a-week
rate when we did this in OpenVZ :(

> James

Thanks,
Pavel