Re: [discussion]sched: a rough proposal to enable power saving inscheduler

From: Alex Shi
Date: Thu Aug 16 2012 - 05:58:50 EST

On 08/16/2012 02:53 PM, preeti wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> From what I have understood so far,I try to summarise pin pointed
> differences between the performance and power policies as found
> relevant to the scheduler-load balancing mechanism.Any thoughts?

Currently, the load_balance trigger will be called in timer for periodic
tick, or dynamic tick.
In periodic tick, the cpu is waked, so do load_balance is not cost much.
But in dynamic tick. we'd better do power policy suitable scenario
checking in nohz_kick_needed(), and then do nohz_balancer_kick on least
but non-idle cpu if possible. that reduce the idle cpu waking chance.

Any comments?