Re: [discussion]sched: a rough proposal to enable power saving inscheduler

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Thu Aug 16 2012 - 01:45:59 EST

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 01:39:36PM +0800, Alex Shi wrote:
> On 08/16/2012 01:31 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > will tend to split them across packages?
>

> No, there is still has balance idea in this rough proposal. If a domain
> is not overload, it is better to left old tasks unchanged. I should say,
> current scheduler is the 'performance' trend scheme.

The current process isn't necessarily ideal for all workloads - that's
one of the reasons for letting workspace modify process affinity. I
agree that the "performance" mode will tend to provide better
performance than the "power" mode for an arbitrary workload, but if
there are workloads that would perform better in "power" then it's a
poor naming scheme.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx