Re: [09/36] AArch64: Exception handling

From: Catalin Marinas
Date: Thu Aug 09 2012 - 13:23:46 EST

Hi Christopher,

On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 06:05:36PM +0100, Christopher Covington wrote:
> On 01/-10/-28163 02:59 PM, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> > +/*
> > + * Exception vectors.
> > + */
> > + .macro ventry label
> > + .align 7
> > + b \label
> > + .endm
> > +
> > + .align 11
> > +ENTRY(vectors)
> > + ventry el1_sync_invalid // Synchronous EL1t
> > + ventry el1_irq_invalid // IRQ EL1t
> > + ventry el1_fiq_invalid // FIQ EL1t
> > + ventry el1_error_invalid // Error EL1t
> > +
> > + ventry el1_sync // Synchronous EL1h
> > + ventry el1_irq // IRQ EL1h
> > + ventry el1_fiq_invalid // FIQ EL1h
> > + ventry el1_error_invalid // Error EL1h
> > +
> > + ventry el0_sync // Synchronous 64-bit EL0
> > + ventry el0_irq // IRQ 64-bit EL0
> > + ventry el0_fiq_invalid // FIQ 64-bit EL0
> > + ventry el0_error_invalid // Error 64-bit EL0
> > +
> > +#ifdef CONFIG_AARCH32_EMULATION
> > + ventry el0_sync_compat // Synchronous 32-bit EL0
> > + ventry el0_irq_compat // IRQ 32-bit EL0
> > + ventry el0_fiq_invalid_compat // FIQ 32-bit EL0
> > + ventry el0_error_invalid_compat // Error 32-bit EL0
> > +#else
> > + ventry el0_sync_invalid // Synchronous 32-bit EL0
> > + ventry el0_irq_invalid // IRQ 32-bit EL0
> > + ventry el0_fiq_invalid // FIQ 32-bit EL0
> > + ventry el0_error_invalid // Error 32-bit EL0
> > +#endif
> > +END(vectors)
> > +
> > +/*
> > + * Invalid mode handlers
> > + */
> > + .macro inv_entry, el, reason, regsize = 64
> > + kernel_entry el, \regsize
> > + mov x0, sp
> > + mov x1, #\reason
> > + mrs x2, esr_el1
> > + b bad_mode
> > + .endm
>
> The code seems to indicate that the invalid mode handlers have
> different alignment requirements than the valid mode handlers, which
> puzzles me.

I don't see any difference. The whole vector must be 2K aligned while
each individual entry is found every 128 bytes (to allow for more
instructions, though we only use a branch).

The inv_entry macro (as the kernel_entry one) is used in code being
branched to from the vector and not inside the vector.

> > +el0_sync_invalid:
> > + inv_entry 0, BAD_SYNC
> > +ENDPROC(el0_sync_invalid)
>
> Plain labels, the ENTRY macro, the END macro and the ENDPROC macro are
> used variously throughout this file, and I wonder if a greater amount
> of consistency might be attainable. The description of the ENDPROC
> macro in include/linux/linkage.h makes me think its use might not be
> completely warranted in blocks of assembly that don't end with a
> return instruction.

We use ENTRY only when we want to export the symbol as it contains the
.globl directive. The ENDPROC is used to mark a function and it's in
general useful for debugging information it generates.

> > + .align 6
> > +el0_irq:
> > + kernel_entry 0
> > +el0_irq_naked:
> > + disable_step x1
> > + isb
> > + enable_dbg
> > +#ifdef CONFIG_TRACE_IRQFLAGS
> > + bl trace_hardirqs_off
> > +#endif
> > + get_thread_info tsk
> > +#ifdef CONFIG_PREEMPT
> > + ldr x24, [tsk, #TI_PREEMPT] // get preempt count
> > + add x23, x24, #1 // increment it
> > + str x23, [tsk, #TI_PREEMPT]
> > +#endif
> > + irq_handler
> > +#ifdef CONFIG_PREEMPT
> > + ldr x0, [tsk, #TI_PREEMPT]
> > + str x24, [tsk, #TI_PREEMPT]
> > + cmp x0, x23
> > + b.eq 1f
> > + mov x1, #0
> > + str x1, [x1] // BUG
>
> It looks like the error handling here isn't quite complete.

We trigger a bug by storing to 0 and the kernel will panic, giving the
full trace. I don't think we can do more in terms of error handling
here.

Regards.

--
Catalin