Re: xtensa port maintenance

From: Chris Zankel
Date: Wed Aug 08 2012 - 04:24:50 EST

Hi Max,

On 08/07/2012 09:43 AM, Max Filippov wrote:
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Chris Zankel <chris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Max,

On 08/06/2012 04:38 PM, Max Filippov wrote:
AFAIK xtensa linux port is currently in bad shape: it doesn't work in the
mainline, it fails to build in the linux-next. The latest working kernels
for
xtensa are 2.6.29...31 trees hosted at the git.linux-xtensa.org.
I wouldn't say it's in bad shape, I just built an vmlinux image from the
latest tree (3.6.0-rc1), but it might not be very stable. One of the major
issues is not really the kernel but there's actually no way to build a
fairly recent version of the toolchain. I have been using a somewhat more
recent buildroot version than what is on xtensa-linux.org, but even that
version of buildroot is rather old now and needed a few patches.
I've been using userspace built from the buildroot image hosted on
linux-xtensa.org with gcc-4.4.5 + binutils-2.20.1. I use gcc-4.6.3
(without libc) + binutils-2.22 to build the kernel. I had an impression that
mentioned buildroot was able to produce userspace where LTP could
run successfully for days. So, my initial plan is to use that userspace
with mainline kernel.
Good plan!

I have a subset thereof that builds toolchain (without libc) and the kernel.
Buildroot gave me an impression of not very reproducible environment, perhaps
I spent too little time on it. So I made an image and I hope that
pre-built image
may be used, at least in the beginning. I had to lightly patch U-boot hosted on
linux-xtensa.org to make it work on LX60/110/200 QEMU models. I guess we
can start with pre-built image of the bootloader too.
I'm not settled on Buildroot, but I had the best experience with it so far. OpenEmbedded was a real pain when I used it (it might have improved a lot since, though). I once even started my own build system, but it became fairly complicated once I wanted to build a bootable system with a C library and various packages.

Ok. I'd like to have even generic patches (my current queue is mostly generic) reviewed. Do you prefer to read them on github or on the linux-xtensa mailing list?
I looked over them briefly, and only had one or two questions. I'll send them tomorrow (our time).

Thanks,
-Chris