Re: rcu: INFO: rcu_preempt detected stalls on CPUs/tasks on v3.6

From: Michael Wang
Date: Tue Aug 07 2012 - 22:20:12 EST

On 08/07/2012 06:24 PM, Sasha Levin wrote:
> On 08/07/2012 07:40 AM, John Stultz wrote:

>>> It triggers after a while of fuzzing using trinity of just adjtimex ('./trinity --quiet -l off -cadjtimex').
>>>
>>> Trinity is available here: http://git.codemonkey.org.uk/?p=trinity.git .
>>>
>>> Let me know if I can help further with reproducing this, I can probably copy over my testing environment to some other host if you'd like.
>>
>> Ok. Finally I *think* got it reproduced. (Had some trouble initially, as I think since the first time I ran it as a normal user, the socket cache isn't the same as if you run it the first time as root? Anyway, after doing a make clean and rebuilding it started to trigger).
>>
>> I'm not seeing the rcu stall message, but I do manage to trigger two other behaviors: a hard hang and a sort of zombie state where memory isn't properly being freed & everything starts segfaulting. So this may not be the exact same issue, but it triggers quickly as you described (within a few seconds of running trinity as root).
>>
>> It looks like both of these issues are caused by adjtimex(ADJ_SETOFFSET), which adds or subtracts a huge offset and that either goes negative or gets clamped to a ktime_t at KTIME_MAX (if you get clamped the system hangs, if it goes negative, the system barely functions, but sort of drags along).
>>
>> An updated version of my KTIME_MAX sanity checking patch to handle both of these conditions is below.
>>
>> Would you mind giving this patch a shot and letting me know if you still see problems?
>
> This fixes the problem for me. Thanks!

Could you please also try to reduce the CONFIG_RCU_CPU_STALL_TIMEOUT
from 60 to 3 and see whether the rcu stall info will show again?(sorry I
can't do it by my self since the stall info never appear in my sight...)

That will be very helpful as I suppose it is time to recover
CONFIG_RCU_CPU_STALL_TIMEOUT to a reasonable value now ;-)

Regards,
Michael Wang