Re: i915 regression on 3.6-rc1: lid blanks screen

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Mon Aug 06 2012 - 14:26:13 EST

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Hugh Dickins <hughd@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sun, 5 Aug 2012, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> >> Hm, it's surprising.
> >>
> >> Could you check whether the counter-part intel_lvds_enable() is
> >> called? If the prepare callback affects, it must be from the mode
> >> setting (drm_crtc_helper_set_mode()).
> >
> > Yes, I put a dump_stack() in both, and intel_lvds_enable() gets called
> > about 0.28 seconds after the intel_lvds_disable() when I lift the lid;
> > but with no video display until I revert that commit.
>
> Can you please boot with drm.debug=0xe added to your kernel cmdline,
> reproduce the issue (with the two dump_stack calls added) and then
> attach the full dmesg?

Collected, I'll send it to you both privately in a moment.

> Also a few other things to try: What happens if you do a modeset on
> the LVDS while it's still working, e.g.

In the dmesg, I've only gone to runlevel 3, simply working on the
console without startx. For these xrandrs to work, I did startx
and used the graphics screen.

> xrandr --outpu LVDS1 --auto --crtc 1

Blanks and restores the screen.

> then switch back to crtc 0 with
>
> xrandr --outpu LVDS1 --auto --crtc 0

Blanks and restores the screen.

> Would also be interesting to know whether this can resurrect your machine.

Indeed it does: the first (--crtc 1) restores the display from
its blank state after opening the lid, the second (--crtc 0) then
behaves as before, briefly blanking then restoring the display.

> Also, how blank is the screen? I.e. is only the backlight off, but you
> can (dimly) see some screen contents, or is it completely off?

Completely off.

Thanks,
Hugh