Re: [RFC/PATCH 2/2] block: Adding ROW scheduling algorithm

From: Jeff Moyer
Date: Mon Aug 06 2012 - 12:35:20 EST

Tatyana Brokhman <tlinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> This patch adds the implementation of a new scheduling algorithm - ROW.
> The policy of this algorithm is to prioritize READ requests over WRITE
> as much as possible without starving the WRITE requests.

Perhaps you could start off by describing the workload, and describing
why the existing I/O schedulers do not perform well. Then, you could go
on to say why you feel that the existing I/O schedulers could not be
modified to perform better under your workload, and wrap the whole thing
up with some convincing performance numbers (including your testing
procedures so others could verify your work independently).

Without the above, I think you'll have a difficult time getting yet
another I/O scheduler merged into the kernel.

Cheers,
Jeff