Re: Q: user_enable_single_step() && update_debugctlmsr()

From: Sebastian Andrzej Siewior
Date: Wed Aug 01 2012 - 09:32:39 EST

On 08/01/2012 03:01 PM, Oleg Nesterov wrote:
Lets ignore uprobes which needs the changes anyway. This is
only used by ptrace and the task is stopped. So, unless I missed
something obvious, this update_debugctlmsr() is simply unneeded,
__switch_to/__switch_to_xtra should notice _TIF_BLOCKSTEP and do
update_debugctlmsr(DEBUGCTLMSR_BTF).

It looks like it unless a processes ptraces itself (which does not make
much sense anyway).

But, worse, isn't it wrong? Suppose that debugger switches to
another TIF_SINGLESTEP&& !TIF_BLOCKSTEP task, in this case
we "leak" DEBUGCTLMSR_BTF, no?

__switch_to_xtra() should notice the difference in the TIF_BLOCKSTEP
flag and disable it.

IOW, it seems to me we could safely remove update_debugctlmsr()
arch/x86/kernel/step.c. However, if we want to re-use this code
in uprobes, then we probably need to add "if (child == current)".
It looks that way.

Or I am totally confused. Help!

Oleg.

Sebastian