Re: [git patches] libata updates

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Jul 25 2012 - 18:58:23 EST

On 07/25/2012 06:31 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Even so, separately, it still needed that post-merge compile fix.

And that's yet another example of how *NOT* to do things.

If the merge has errors like that, then they should be fixed up in the merge.

Please. Don't do this. Let me merge stuff, and you explain in the pull
request why it gets merge problems. Not this mess.

That merge itself was *trivial*. I do those kinds of fixups in my
sleep and you don't even need to explain those. The non-trivial part
you did as a separate commit. But neither of those should have been
"I'll pre-merge for Linus so that he doesn't see these problems".

What is the right course in when a post-merge change is needed?

Jeff