Re: [GIT PULL v2] Blackfin changes for 3.6-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jul 24 2012 - 12:48:08 EST

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Bob Liu <lliubbo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is the new pull request about blackfin changes for 3.6-rc1.
> I've rebased my tree to 3.5.

So I pulled it, but next time I'd really like to not see so much
recent rebasing.

So preferably it would be something that has been stable for at least
a week, and tested in next. If you really need to use some kind of
rebasing model, try to calm it down *before* the merge window starts,
so that you can have a tested tree ready without rebasing it in the
last few days.

The release schedule is generally predictable enough that you can (for
example) decide to pick a fairly stable -rc version (say -rc5 or -rc6,
by which time the kernel should be pretty reliable), and use that as
your base point, and keep it in -next *without* rebasing at all (just
possibly add new patches at the end).

Generally, the less you rebase, the better. Yes, sometimes it's worth
it as a way to clean up the history especially if you need some
changes that come from elsewhere, or if you want to fix a bug in a
commit that you haven't asked me to pull yet. But if you can get to a
workflow with minimal rebasing, it really helps people who want to
work with you, so that they can rely on your tree not changing from
under them.

Now, I assume that blackfin just doesn't have enough developers or big
changes for this to be a big deal, but it's a good habit to aim for
regardless.

Linus