Re: kdump/kexec vmcore size doubles each time

From: joe shmoe
Date: Mon Jul 23 2012 - 19:48:21 EST

Hi,
Thank you for the reply. I ended up opting for writing to filesystem rather than raw_device and this seems to have helped me sidestep the problem for now. Unfortunately, I can't quite make a jump to later sources.

I do have another question, I see KDUMP_KEEP_OLD_DUMPS mentioned to automatically clean up prior dumps (for ex: http://dedoimedo.com/computers/kdump.html and other SUSE docs).
However, I cannot find any logic in sources to do this (and sure enough I don't see older cores in my /var/crash/ path clean up as new cores are dumped).

Could someone please comment if:
(i) KDUMP_KEEP_OLD_DUMPS is unsupported or not. If it IS supported, could someone please help with the relevant source code so I could debug why it isn't working? Yes, I did download kexec-tools git but cannot find anything relevant.

(ii) If there is NO explicit source code to achieve this -- then do folks achieve such a cleanup through KDUMP_PRE and KDUMP_POST scripts? If yes, is there a standard-ish script out there to achieve this?

Thanks much.