Re: [net-next RFC V5 4/5] virtio_net: multiqueue support

From: Jason Wang
Date: Mon Jul 23 2012 - 01:52:32 EST

On 07/21/2012 08:02 PM, Sasha Levin wrote:
On 07/20/2012 03:40 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
- err = init_vqs(vi);
+ if (virtio_has_feature(vdev, VIRTIO_NET_F_CTRL_VQ))
+ vi->has_cvq = true;
+
How about we disable multiqueue if there's no cvq?
Will make logic a bit simpler, won't it?
multiqueues don't really depend on cvq. Does this added complexity really justifies adding an artificial limit?

Yes, it does not depends on cvq. Cvq were just used to negotiate the number of queues a guest wishes to use which is really useful (at least for now). Since multiqueue can not out-perform for single queue in every kinds of workloads or benchmark, so we want to let guest driver use single queue by default even when multiqueue were enabled by management software and let use to enalbe it through ethtool. So user could not feel regression when it switch to use a multiqueue capable driver and backend.

So the only difference is the user experiences.