Re: [RFC] firmware load: defer request_firmware during early bootand resume

From: david
Date: Sat Jul 21 2012 - 16:47:45 EST

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012, Linus Torvalds wrote:

In my opinion, we should cache firmware data for all hotplug
devices or devices which may experience power loss automatically
in kernel during suspend-resume cycle because all such devices may be
disconnected and connected again during suspend-resume cycle.

Yes. *THAT* is absolutely the kind of change I'd love to see. The core
device layer doesn't really make it easy to handle firmware sanely
over suspend/resume, which is kind of sad. Why does every driver have
to have its own "let me remember my firmware over the suspend/resume
event" and have extra code in suspend/resume, when it's really a
pretty generic situation: if the device has firmware, wouldn't it be
really nice if the core driver layer just knew about that and kept
track of it?

firmware can be added to the kernel image at compile time. would it make sense for there to be some mechanism that can add firmware to the kernel image after the fact so that it can create a 'cache' of the firmware needed for the particular system as part of that systems kernel image?

David Lang