Re: ibmveth bug?

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Fri Jul 20 2012 - 20:52:58 EST

On Fri, 2012-07-20 at 15:41 -0700, Nishanth Aravamudan wrote:
> Ping on this ... we've tripped the same issue on a different system, it
> would appear. Would appreciate if anyone can provide answers to the
> questions below.

Well, I haven't hit it but your description makes sense. Why not use
dma_alloc_coherent though ? Rather than kmalloc followed by map ?

At least on power we give you page alignment for these, so the problem
is solved magically :-) Another option is GFP + dma_map_page which is
roughly equivalent.

If you think it's a waste of space based on the queue size, then just
add an extra pointer, I wouldn't bother with a cache for something only
allocated when the driver initializes.

Cheers,
Ben.