Re: [RFC] Simplifying kernel configuration for distro issues

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Fri Jul 20 2012 - 06:26:42 EST

> But we'll first have to make 'select' to actually work, right? It
> currently doesn't resolve the dependencies of the selected configs, so it
> will just produce some very broken config.

We could restrict "select" to only select symbols with no dependencies,
or *exactly* the same dependencies as the symbol containing the select.

So we could have something like:

config FEDORA
select WANT_TMPFS

config WANT_TMPFS
bool

config TMPFS
defbool y if WANT_TMPFS

This is a pattern used today in many places.
But fixing up all the current select XXX would not be trivial...
I have no idea how many of the select we have today that would fail
the above semantic restrictions - but I guess it is a lot.

We could also come up with something new like:

config FEDORA
require TMPFS
require EXT4 = m
require EXT3 = y

This would set TMPS to y if TMPFS dependencies are met.
And EXT3 to y and EXT4 to m if their dependencies are met.

This should be more or less the same as setting the value to y/m
in the user interface, which is only possible if the value is visible.

Sam