Re: [opensuse-kernel] Re: [RFC] Simplifying kernel configuration fordistro issues

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Thu Jul 19 2012 - 10:42:20 EST

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 07:48:27PM +0200, Borislav Petkov wrote:

> Let's have an example: when I have to build upstream on a distro here,
> I take the distro config and use it despite that it takes a long time
> to build since everything is module - it is still better for me to
> wait that one time instead of doing a dozen of trial and errors after
> forgetting a config option each time.

This is where 'make localmodconfig' does help. It can remove a lot of
modules for you. And I just recently fixed a bug in the tool that it now
removes even more modules (The fix is in linux-next).

Also, if you are building on another box than what the kernel is for,
you can go to that box and run 'lsmod > /tmp/lsmod'. Copy that file to
the build machine (into /tmp/lsmod), and then run
'make LSMOD=/tmp/lsmod localmodconfig', and this will remove the modules
not used by the target box.

-- Steve