Re: [Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND or not ATTEND] That's thequestion!

From: david
Date: Tue Jul 17 2012 - 18:17:17 EST

apologies for the late response

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012, Glauber Costa wrote:

The same way we have checkpatch, we can have something automated that
will attempt to rule out some trivial patches in the counting process.
We can scan a patch, and easily determine if each part of it is:

* pure whitespace
* pure Documentation change
* comment fix

And if a patch is 100 % comprised by those, we simply don't count it.
People that just want to increase their numbers - they will always
exist, will tend to stop doing that. Simply because doing it will not
help them at all.

I would look at things a bit differently.

strip out whitespace changes (they can be valuable, but usually only in combination with other work)

added comments or documetnation count double (we always need better documentation.

if the number of lines removed is more than a delata larger than the number added, the patch is probably a reorginization/cleanup and should get a boost in the metrics.

David Lang