Re: linux-next: manual merge of the arm-soc tree with the i2c-embeddedtree

From: Lee Jones
Date: Tue Jul 17 2012 - 10:52:16 EST

On 17/07/12 15:22, Mark Brown wrote:
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 03:02:00PM +0100, Lee Jones wrote:

I'm sure sure this is relevant in the current case though, as the
i2c properties proposed here are platform specific. What we're

I've not seen the specific example (though fankly it seems quite
surprising that there's anything other than bus speed that the platform
might want to configure for I2C...).

discussing is some consolidation of property names, which I do
support in theory. What I fear is that this driver will lack Device
Tree functionality for yet another kernel version if it isn't
resolved quickly.

Well, if checking the DT checky box is the important thing then just
adding an of_match_table ought to be enough? It's fairly common for
platform data to have lots of stuff that's not used by most systems
so you can often cover 90% of systems with a very small subset of the
configurability.

We could do that, but I'd rather do it in full.

I think it would be okay to take the 3 patches due for the v3.6 merge window, which target the nmk-i2c driver. If any consolidation happens in the mean-time/future I will personally do the work to bring the nmk-i2c into line to use any generic bindings which result.

No one else is ever going to use these vendor specific bindings, so I'm sure no issues will arise. It also means that we have a fully enabled driver which is capable of receiving a new configuration via minor changes to the dts, which is important for the current (only) user of this driver for an upcoming project.

--
Lee Jones
Linaro ST-Ericsson Landing Team Lead