Re: [opensuse-kernel] Re: [RFC] Simplifying kernel configuration fordistro issues

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jul 16 2012 - 16:56:53 EST

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM, <david@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Some of the proposed ways to implement the minimum distro kernel would not
> allow you to override the distro defaults because they would be implemented
> by setting dependancies, not by selecting options that you as the user could
> then unselect.

The sanest thing to do is just a list of "select" statements. And in
any case it would have to depend on the "distro config" entry, so EVEN
THEN you could just create the Kconfig file, then edit out the distro
config thing, and then do whatever you want.

So I don't see why you're arguing. Even if it is very much a "if you
select the FEDORA_X kconfig option, that will automatically force all
those other options on", I don't see why you are so upset. Just set
it, generate your kconfig, and then edit to file to NOT set the distro
config. Then you can do whatever the hell you want.

What I'm upset about is simply the fact that EVEN IF your arguments
were valid (and I don't think they are: see above for trivial fix) I
think your arguments are bogus, for the simple reason that what you
ask for isn't even what the whole "distro minconfig" is at all about.
It's about normal users who absolutely DO NOT want to edit the config.
People who want to say "I know I have intel/amd/nvidia graphics,
standard USB, and no CD-ROM drive". They couldn't care *less* about
SELINUX, and in fact that very issue is why we should have this.

Anybody who says "I want to run Fedora without SELINUX because I do my
own security development" is by *definition* not relevant to the whole
feature.

Linus