Re: [Regression][Revert request] Excessive delay or hang duringresume from system suspend due to a hrti

From: Sedat Dilek
Date: Mon Jul 16 2012 - 13:51:14 EST

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 7:16 AM, Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [ QUOTE ]
>
> Hi Linus,
>
> Please revert:
>
> commit 5baefd6d84163443215f4a99f6a20f054ef11236
> Author: John Stultz <johnstul@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue Jul 10 18:43:25 2012 -0400
>
> hrtimer: Update hrtimer base offsets each hrtimer_interrupt
>
> This breaks resume on the iBook G4 and Toshiba Portege R500 (at least), by
> adding an excessive delay to it (the Toshiba box sometimes hangs hard during
> resume from system suspend). According to Andreas
> (https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/7/15/66):
>
> "Apparently during or before noirq resume the system is hanging by the same
> amount of time as the system was sleeping."
>
> which seems to agree with my observations.
>
> Given that the two known-affected boxes are so different, it is quite probable
> that the total number of affected systems is actually quite high.
>
> Thanks!
>

> To everyone involved: the fact that this change, which was likely to introduce
> regressions from the look of it alone, has been pushed to Linus (an to -stable
> at the same time!) so late in the cycle, is seriuosly disappointing.
>
> Thanks,
> Rafael
>
> [ /QUOTE ]
>
> Hi,
>
> when I booted 1st into Linux-3.5-rc7 (a few hours after release) I had
> a call-trace in get_next_timer_interrupt() (NULL pointer dereference)
> on early-boot.
> The machine got frozen.
>
> I can't say if this is related to the same issue here, but I can
> confirm after suspend + resume the machine (sandy-bridge ultrabook) I
> am working on is in an unusable state.
> I had to cold reboot/restart.
>
> Regards,
> - Sedat -
>
> P.S.: Unfortunately, I could not reproduce the NULL-deref again.
> Thomas gave me some instruction to enable some debugobjects
> kernel-options (see attached backlog from IRC).

Hi,

John asked me on IRC to send my kernel-config and to clarify about my
experiences with the NULL-deref I saw in get_next_timer_interrupt():
I only saw it once - even after several bootups/bootins - as said at
the very beginning - the machine was unusable - hard reset.
Unfortunately, I had no digicam around to take a screenshot.

I tested with the timekeeping-fix [1] from Thomas:
Resume after suspend is fine with it! Thanks for the quick patch!

If it's not to late, please add a...

Tested-by: Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@xxxxxxxxx>

Kind Regards,
- Sedat -