Re: 3.4.4-rt13: btrfs + xfstests 006 = BOOM.. and a bonus rt_mutexdeadlock report for absolutely free!

From: Chris Mason
Date: Mon Jul 16 2012 - 11:43:04 EST

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 04:55:44AM -0600, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-07-14 at 12:14 +0200, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> > >
> > > [ deadlocks with btrfs and the recent RT kernels ]
> > >
> > > I talked with Thomas about this and I think the problem is the
> > > single-reader nature of the RW rwlocks. The lockdep report below
> > > mentions that btrfs is calling:

> > > In this case, the task has a number of blocking read locks on the btrfs buffers,
> > > and we're trying to turn them back into spinning read locks. Even
> > > though btrfs is taking the read rwlock, it doesn't think of this as a new
> > > lock operation because we were blocking out new writers.
> > >
> > > If the second task has taken the spinning read lock, it is going to
> > > prevent that clear_path_blocking operation from progressing, even though
> > > it would have worked on a non-RT kernel.
> > >
> > > The solution should be to make the blocking read locks in btrfs honor the
> > > single-reader semantics. This means not allowing more than one blocking
> > > reader and not allowing a spinning reader when there is a blocking
> > > reader. Strictly speaking btrfs shouldn't need recursive readers on a
> > > single lock, so I wouldn't worry about that part.
> > >
> > > There is also a chunk of code in btrfs_clear_path_blocking that makes
> > > sure to strictly honor top down locking order during the conversion. It
> > > only does this when lockdep is enabled because in non-RT kernels we
> > > don't need to worry about it. For RT we'll want to enable that as well.
> > >
> > > I'll give this a shot later today.
> >
> > I took a poke at it. Did I do something similar to what you had in
> > mind, or just hide behind performance stealing paranoid trylock loops?
> > Box survived 1000 x xfstests 006 and dbench [-s] massive right off the
> > bat, so it gets posted despite skepticism.
>
> Seems btrfs isn't entirely convinced either.
>
> [ 2292.336229] use_block_rsv: 1810 callbacks suppressed
> [ 2292.336231] ------------[ cut here ]------------
> [ 2292.336255] WARNING: at fs/btrfs/extent-tree.c:6344 use_block_rsv+0x17d/0x190 [btrfs]()
> [ 2292.336257] Hardware name: System x3550 M3 -[7944K3G]-
> [ 2292.336259] btrfs: block rsv returned -28

This is unrelated. You got far enough into the benchmark to hit an
ENOSPC warning. This can be ignored (I just deleted it when we used 3.0
for oracle).

re: dbench performance. dbench tends to penalize fairness. I can
imagine RT making it slower in general.

It also triggers lots of lock contention in btrfs because the dataset is
fairly small and the trees don't fan out a lot.

-chris