Re: linux-next: manual merge of the arm-soc tree with thei2c-embedded tree

From: Wolfram Sang
Date: Mon Jul 16 2012 - 06:17:31 EST

> Well I think I ACKed that from the point of view that it will work as
> expected with ux500 with these bindings. What is best from the I2C
> subsystem point of view is another question ...

Okay, thanks for clarifying.

> Overall I think we have this general problem with a lot of DT
> conversion happening right now: the tempo is set very high and
> all chip vendors want DT support RealQuickNowPreferrablyYesterday
> and that makes it hard for subsystem maintainers to hold back,
> and I also fear vendor-specific properties are overused for this
> reason.

Word.

> And about the perpetual nature of device tree bindings it
> appears to me that the modus operandi right now is to not
> regard any of these as written in stone until they are removed
> from the kernel tree. We have plenty of drivers patching
> trees and drivers in one for the moment.

I don't get this one. Yes, they are of perpetual nature, so how could we
remove them from the kernel tree?

What I am afraid of is: tentative solutions tend to stay, because the
need for a proper solution is reduced. Yet, finding proper generic
bindings might take some time which doesn't meet the high pressure
around DT at the moment.

Regards,

Wolfram

--