Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree

From: Alan Modra
Date: Fri Jul 06 2012 - 02:08:38 EST

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 01:01:37PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> solos-pci.c:(.text+0x1ff923c): relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC64_REL24
^^^^^^^^^

> I assume at this point, we are just too large.

Yeah, but not in total. I didn't see any of these in the allyes
kernel I built with our proof of concept hack to avoid ld -r. I think
you'll find that these are all from ld -r output, as I assume no one
in kernel land writes drivers or whatever with 33M of text in a single
file. Branches in that monstrous section can't even reach the
trampolines that ld inserts to extend branch reach. Did I mention
that ld -r is a bad idea?

One workaround might be to compile with -ffunction-sections.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM