Re: Fwd: Hid over I2C and ACPI interaction

From: Mika Westerberg
Date: Fri Jul 06 2012 - 01:51:01 EST

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 03:01:57PM +0800, Zhang Rui wrote:
> +Note that although these are ACPI devices, we prefer to use PnP drivers
> for them,
> +this is because:
> +1. all the non-ACPI-predefined Devices are exported as PnP devices as
> well
> +2. PnP bus is a well designed bus. Probing via PnP layer saves a lot of
> work
> + for the device driver, e.g. getting & parsing ACPI resources.

(Nice BKM, thanks for sharing)

I have few questions about using PnP drivers instead of pure ACPI drivers.

ACPI 5.0 defined some new resources, for example "Fixed DMA descriptor"
that has information about the request line + channel for the device to
use. Hovewer, PnP drivers pass resources as 'struct resource', which
basically only has start and end - how do you represent all this new stuff
using 'struct resource'?

Or should we use acpi_walk_resources() where 'struct resource' is not
suitable?