[Question] sched: Is nsecs_to_cputime valid?

From: Namhyung Kim
Date: Wed Jul 04 2012 - 23:09:17 EST

that has been posted to gmane.linux.kernel as well.

Hi,

When I look at kernel/sched/core.c, I found a dubious bit on the
nsecs_to_cputime macro. It's defined as:

#ifndef nsecs_to_cputime
# define nsecs_to_cputime(__nsecs) nsecs_to_jiffies(__nsecs)
#endif

While default implementation of jiffies_to_cputime (in
include/asm-generic/cputime.h) returns just the same vaule (w/
casting), some arch's (ia64, ppc and s390) define their own ones.
So nsecs_to_cputime on those arch's will end up returning time in
jiffies rather than cputime.

I see it depends on CONFIG_VIRT_CPU_ACCOUTING and ia64 and ppc use
the default j_to_ct when not defined. But it seems it's not obvious for
s390. Anyway I think converting the return value to cputime again is
need for self-containedness.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Namhyung