Re: Kernel 3.4.X NFS server regression

From: Jeff Layton
Date: Mon Jun 11 2012 - 10:30:11 EST

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 16:44:09 +0300
Boaz Harrosh <bharrosh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One more thing, the most important one. We have already fixed that in the
> past and I was hoping the lesson was learned. Apparently it was not, and
> we are doomed to do this mistake for ever!!
>
> What ever crap fails times out and crashes, in the recovery code, we don't
> give a dam. It should never affect any Server-client communication.
>
> When the grace periods ends the clients gates opens period. *Any* error
> return from state recovery code must be carefully ignored and normal
> operations resumed. At most on error, we move into a mode where any
> recovery request from client is accepted, since we don't have any better
> data to verify it.
>
> Please comb recovery code to make sure any catastrophe is safely ignored.
> We already did that before and it used to work.

That's not the case, and hasn't ever been AFAICT. The code has changed
a bit recently, but the existing behavior in this regard was preserved.
>From nfs4_check_open_reclaim:

return nfsd4_client_record_check(clp) ? nfserr_reclaim_bad : nfs_ok;

...if there is no client record, then the reclaim request fails. Doesn't
the RFC mandate that?

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>