Re: Does perf inject preserve call chain data?

From: David Ahern
Date: Fri Jun 08 2012 - 13:13:25 EST

On 6/8/12 10:44 AM, Tim Chen wrote:
On Fri, 2012-06-08 at 11:38 -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
Em Tue, May 22, 2012 at 03:58:40PM -0600, David Ahern escreveu:
On 5/22/12 12:49 PM, Tim Chen wrote:
Arnaldo,

Wonder if perf inject munged the call chain data from perf record?

When I do
perf record -a -g -o - sleep 5 |perf inject -v -b | perf report -g -i -
I get a complain from perf report

Warning:
Selected -g but no callchain data. Did you call 'perf record' without -g?

I believe the root cause is that the event list is not written to
the pipe. Using Arnaldo's git repo as of today (has fixes from
Stephane) this hack shows the info is there and can be processed.

How things stand here? Tim, did this fix things for you? If so, David,
please resend with a proper subject line and a Tested-by: Tim, ok?

Thanks,

- Arnaldo

It didn't fix things for me when I was testing on a westmere-ex machine.
I got

# ./perf record -a -g -o - sleep 5 |perf inject -v -b | perf report -g -i -
incompatible file format
incompatible file formatincompatible file formatselected -g but no callchain data. Did you call perf record without -g?

Testing was done on 3.5.0-rc1.

Is ./ needed in front of the second and third invocations are do you have ./ in the PATH?

David