Re: processes hung after sys_renameat, and 'missing' processes

From: Al Viro
Date: Thu Jun 07 2012 - 22:18:08 EST

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 08:36:07PM +0100, Al Viro wrote:

> Other callers of d_move():
> * debugfs_rename() - imitates what vfs_rename() is doing. Same
> locking environment. BTW,
> trap = lock_rename(new_dir, old_dir);
> /* Source or destination directories don't exist? */
> if (!old_dir->d_inode || !new_dir->d_inode)
> goto exit;
> is bogus - lock_rename() is taking ->i_mutex on these inodes, for fsck sake!
> If this can be called with old_dir or new_dir negative, it's buggered.

It's worse, actually. If we _ever_ do cross-directory debugfs_rename()
without external serialization, we are in trouble. It does imitate
vfs_rename() (actually - its callers), but there's an unpleasant difference:
instead of "lock parents with lock_rename(), then do lookups and we are
guaranteed nobody will change ->d_parent of children we are working with"
it's "lock the new parent and whatever happens to be the current parent
of the object given to us; do lookup for target, pray that the old parent
still was the parent of our object by the time we got the locks".

AFAICS, there's only one caller doing cross-directory moves (__clk_reparent())
and currently all callers are serialized by a mutex in there, but that's
not documented anywhere - not for __clk_reparent(), not for debugfs_rename().