Re: [patch 12/12] mm: correctly synchronize rss-counters at exit/exec

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Jun 07 2012 - 20:26:31 EST

Ugh, looking more at the patch, I'm getting more and more convinces
that it is pure and utter garbage.

It does "sync_mm_rss(mm);" in mmput(), _after_ it has done the
possibly final mmdrop(). WTF?

This is crap, guys. Seriously. Stop playing russian rulette with this
code. I think we need to revert *all* of the crazy rss games, unless
Konstantin can show us some truly obviously correct fix.

Sadly, I merged and pushed out the crap before I had rebooted and
noticed this problem, so now it's in the wild. Can somebody please
take a look at this asap?

Linus