Re: [Regression] [Radeon] Stream command failures and render problemsin Evergreen (Radeon HD 5600) in kernel 3.4

From: Brian Gitonga Marete
Date: Thu Jun 07 2012 - 17:44:46 EST

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 11:20 PM, Jerome Glisse <j.glisse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Brian Gitonga Marete <marete@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Jerome Glisse <j.glisse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Update your libdrm to libdrm from git should fix your issue.
>>
>> Hello Jerome,
>>
>> Thanks for looking into this.
>>
>> I am afraid that even with the very latest libdrm (git 93a5117d), the
>> rendering is still broken.
>>
>> What else should I try? I would revert the patch that git-bisect
>> fingered (your patch, git 285484e2d, Linux mainline) but there are
>> merge problems when I try to do that, which I have not yet looked
>> into. Perhaps you can see if you can help me revert that patch so that
>> we can see if the problem then goes away?
>>
> What happen if you upgrade to xf86-video-ati from git ?

Hello Jerome,

Once again, thanks a lot for your help.

Some progress but also a setback: Upgrading to the latest
xf86-video-ati git gets rid of the stream command failures - No more
error messages in dmesg(8). But then, now, rendering is completely
messed up. Previously, it was mostly the window boundaries that were
blurred/messed but now also entire windows and text so that you can't
read anything from the desktop. (For example, the previous render
problems would still allow me to use gnome-terminal even though its
frames were completely blurred. Now the text withing gnome-terminal is
also blurred/smudged)

Do you recommend that I also try to upgrade Mesa? (I have to solve a
gl-proto library dependency before I can do that.) Or perhaps rebuild
Compiz itself against the new libdrm and xf86-video-ati? What do you
recommend?