Re: 3.[34].x Reproducable [Firmware bug] message upon warm boot only

From: Rus
Date: Thu Jun 07 2012 - 10:53:08 EST

Hello,

>> Cold boot do not show this message. The hardware is Asus M5A97 PRO
>> (latest 1208 Bios) and FX-8150 CPU, 24GB RAM, the only system on this
>> box is Linux.
>
> Can you send /proc/cpuinfo from that box?

The /proc/cpuinfo :

processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 21
model : 1
model name : AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor
stepping : 2
microcode : 0x6000626
cpu MHz : 3600.000
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 8
core id : 0
cpu cores : 4
apicid : 16
initial apicid : 0
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 13
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid
aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes
xsave avx lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a
misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs xop skinit wdt lwp fma4 nodeid_msr
topoext perfctr_core arat cpb hw_pstate npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save
tsc_scale vmcb_clean flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold
bogomips : 7224.00
TLB size : 1536 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual power management: ts
ttp tm 100mhzsteps hwpstate cpb

>> Is this message harmless or this is some problem with hardware/bios/Linux ?
>
> Mostly harmless, fix is already upstream: f227d306cf3 and also on its
> way to stable. You can try 3.5-rc1 on the box (it should be pretty
> stable on AMD) or wait for the stable backport.

Ok, compiling ... will report soon. The reason I've asked - this
particular brand new box is freezing once at a 2-3 days without any
output - no oops, no sysrq, nothing. So I'm trying to investigate what
is the problem. The previous kernels (3.3.x) have the serious problem
with iommu - the onboard USB3.0 and Ethernet did not work at all on
them. The 3.4.x is better, but seems like still freezing.

Thanks

--
SfinxSoft
http://sfinxsoft.com