Re: Why minor is still 8 bit?

From: George Shuklin
Date: Mon Jun 04 2012 - 21:08:08 EST

On 05.06.2012 04:52, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
On 06/04/2012 11:59 AM, George Shuklin wrote:
Very simple sample: I'd like to create shared storage to publish volumes
via ISCSI. ~60Tb of drives, ~2Gb average disk size = 30k disk images.
Can I just create a bunch of LV and export them by iet or scst? Nope:
There is a serious limit for amount of active LV per host. Yes, I can
create filesystem, put images (as file) to that filesystem and publish
them back, but why FS is needed to do such simple task?
You realize that with that many volumes, a logical volume manager *is* a
filesystem, right?

-hpa

Well, I have nothing against filesystem with very small 'db-like' footprint: no directories, no attributes, extra-large allocation block, very fast initialization, no random file growth (very calm metadata without constant updating). If someone do have that type of FS (for disk images storage) - why not?

Anyway, using LVM to provide logical volumes to customers seems be fine (at least by name). But that limitation for minor is breaking whole idea.

I don't ask 'please fix', I'm just curious why so small?