Re: GIT PULL] ext4 updates for 3.5

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Jun 01 2012 - 13:20:27 EST

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is there perhaps a tag I should pull instead?

Never mind, I see it. It's 'ext4_for_linus'.

So here's the odd 'git' trick of the day. Do

git ls-remote
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tytso/ext4 | less -S

to see all the branches and tags. In there, we see the branch you
asked me to pull:

5e44f8c374.. refs/heads/dev

and then we can see if perhaps any of the tags have that same commit
when peeled. So search for 5e44f8c374, and sure enough:

..
4e4d525149.. refs/tags/ext4_for_linus
5e44f8c374.. refs/tags/ext4_for_linus^{}
..

so that 'ext4_for_linus' tag (which obviously has a different SHA1
than the commit it points to) points to the same commit (the "^{}" is
just the git SHA1 expression for "commit pointed to by object").

So pulling 'ext4_for_linus' instead of 'dev' will get me the same
commits you asked me to pull, with the added tag information that your
pull request containes.

Now I just wonder why your pull request said 'dev' at all.

Linus