Re: LIS331DLH accelerometer driver, IIO or not?

From: Darren Hart
Date: Sun May 27 2012 - 12:30:10 EST

On 05/27/2012 02:32 AM, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> On 05/27/2012 04:14 AM, Darren Hart wrote:

>>> I agree that this sort of device should have an input interface. Not
>>> sure if a joystick is the right option, but that's more one for Dmitry
>>> to comment on.

>>> You've laid it out extremely clearly. Thanks, I agree with these steps,
>>> though they may occur from a slightly different angle given Darren is
>>> interested in a part that is not (I believe) currently supported by
>>> your existing driver. Hence he may initially want to do a separate
>>> driver with that (keeping in mind the aim of mergining in the existing
>>> driver). I have an ancient driver for the lis3l02dq alone (in
>>> iio from the start) that will also get eaten up by Daren's new driver
>>> (and the ability to test on that part on spi).
>>> staging/iio/accel/lis3l02dq*.c
>>
>> I think I should start with getting the lis331dlh support completed, if
>> for no other reason than to keep the scope manageable as I write my
>> first real driver. From that I would like to merge in Jonathan's IIO
>> lis3l02dq driver to get the multi-chip support part right. Then we
>> should look at expanding the scope of the interface and finally merging
>> with misc/lis3102dq. I believe that should meet with everyone's suggestions.
>>
>> One thing I would like to understand better is what sort of interface
>> does userspace current expect. Phone Gap, for example, provides a very
>> high level interface to applications in m/s^2 for each axis. Is there
>> some interface we should ensure all accelerometer driver's implement?
>>
>> I suspect a /dev/accel interface that reads out xyz values in ms/s^2
>> would make sense. We would need to ensure that allows for polled as well
>> as event driven. Thoughts?
>
> Immediate comment is don't call it /dev/accel. That's just taken out
> using it for all the combined gyro/ accel units out there.

Sure, that was just off the cuff.

> Also doing scaling in kernel is expensive, fiddly and inefficient
> (no floating point - and lots of users don't actually care about
> absolute scale).

I was thinking about that yesterday as well. I suppose all that is
needed is to expose the range and the scale (e.g. max=32M, scale=8G)

> Then we get the question of what this gains us over
> existing options (input or /dev/iio/iio:device0) beyond a memorable
> location? Maybe we leave this question for now...

My only complaint with the iio:device0 naming is the ":" which has to be
escaped and is very irritating to use from the shell!

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center