Re: [git pull] Input updates for 3.5-rc0

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu May 24 2012 - 13:34:09 EST

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 1:32 AM, Dmitry Torokhov
<dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Linus,
>
> to receive updates for the input subsystem. You will get:

I get an annoying conflict, and the reason I call it annoying is not
because it's hard to resolve, it's because doing that shows that you
seem to have preferred using

dev_dbg(&input->dev.parent, ...)

over the much more natural

dev_dbg(&input->dev, ...)

which would seem to make more sense.

Why? Are the input layer device names so bad that using them for debug
output is useless? And if so, why *are* they so bad?

I'm going to take your version over Greg's more straightforward one,
because I assume Greg did things a bit more mindlessly and I think you
presumably had a *reason* for your extra (stupid) ".parent" part. But
I'm unhappy with it, because I suspect the reason you did that implies
that the input layer does something bad.

Hmm?

Linus