Re: Race condition between driver_probe_device and device_shutdownâ

From: Alan Stern
Date: Thu May 24 2012 - 10:37:38 EST

On Wed, 23 May 2012, Greg KH wrote:

> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 09:39:46AM +0800, Ming Lei wrote:
> > >
> > > This is a tricky question.  Overall I think you're probably right.
> > >
> > > It's certainly true that holding the device lock across the shutdown
> > > callback is the easiest and most reliable way to prevent these races.
> >
> > But holding device lock across .shutdown is very inefficient because
> > most of devices' driver have not shutdown callback, so I think it is better

The code there is racy already. It does:

} else if (dev->driver && dev->driver->shutdown) {

without any locking protection. If the driver is unbound while this
statement runs then dev->driver could be non-NULL for the first test
and NULL for the second.

> > to fix the race by prevent driver core from probing or releasing once
> > shutdown is started.
> >
> > How about the below patch?
>
> How about waiting for the original poster to respond as to exactly how
> they are hitting this race before doing anything?

In addition, the patch is too complicated. For this type of
synchronization you should use SRCU. See
Documentation/RCU/whatisRCU.txt and related files.

Alan Stern